View post (guitar movement)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
01/08/2020 10:49 pm
Originally Posted by: gogachachi

How does everyone keep the guitar stationary while changing chords?

[p]You shouldn't have to.

I'll start with the first obvious thing which came to mind.

What kind of guitar are you using gogachachi? Acoustic or electric, and if acoustic as I suspect, size & body shape?

[br]We come in all shapes and sizes. It could just be that you're using a guitar which is not a physical fit for you.

PS. Edit. I have just now read you reply which should be directly above this post. From the comment I can now reasonably surmise you're referring to an acoustic, and a Dreadnought?

I'm a person of [u]statistically average western male build and height,[/u] and I detest Dreadnoughts for that reason. I'm not an ectomorph, so with my torso and arm length, when held conventionally when sitting I find the huge body of a Dread is just awkwardly uncomfortable fit to hold and which gets in the way of my strumming arm. Adapting hold or position to facilitate that better is still a compromise causing the guitar body and neck to extend just that bit further away again rendering it an awkward fit and stretch [u]for my arm lengths.[/u] Ugh!

I own a Dreadnought BTW, still play it occasionally, and my perspective on them hasn't changed one iota.

The preferred solution for me was and is Concert body acoustics, of which I own two which I play regularly.

[u]On straps[/u]. IME wearing a strap [u]s[/u][u]pecifically to remedy this situation[/u], will assist supporting the guitar neck so that it's not as much of a perpetual struggle to keep it from moving by supporting it with the fretting hand. Regardless using one with a Dread, the body English their bulk imposes is still all wrong [u]for me[/u]. To use an analogy, like an ill-fitting pair of shoes too large on a long hike or a bicycle frame size too large on a MTB trail.

[br]OTOH, if you are experiencing the problem with an electric. Struggling with the neck position doesn't generally occur with solid body electrics IME, except perhaps with neck divers like SGs and LPs, but that's a different situation which a strap [u]will[/u] assist in rectifying as the cause is not awkward body fit, but attributable to poor guitar balance (its centre of gravity).

Analyse to determine what the root cause of [u]your[/u] problem is, and address [u]it[/u]. If the problem is an oversized ill-fitting guitar body, using a strap in attempting to address the problem when sitting will at best be a kludge.

I use a strap only when standing, playing a Les Paul (neck diver) or Dreadnought. I find straps unnecessary for me otherwise and the practice doesn't interfere with [u]me[/u] adapting position between playing whether sitting or standing. That said, I my playing position is very George Harrisonesqe rather than Slash. I'd no sooner attempt to play my guitar absurdly hanging around my (censored word) than I would wear a pair of shredded preholed jeans for equal affectation in order to fit in with or impress peers equally keen to demonstrate characteristics of superficiality and stupid.

In closing, I second the suggestion to review the GT lessons on holding the guitar and posture first to see if there's anything there you should address.