Rythym

sizanbandhan
Full Access
sizanbandhan
Full Access
12/26/2019 7:45 pm

Hello. SO when strumming, I;ve learned that generally in a 4/4 beat you strum 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & . The numbers representing the down strum and & representing up. Now I wanted to know if Im playing with a metronome or playing in general, can I upstrum on the numbers if I'm looking for that sound. For example 1 > down & >up 2>up &>up 3>down &> down 4> down & up. or does the numbers always have to be down sturm and & always up strum?

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
12/27/2019 5:23 pm
Originally Posted by: sizanbandhan

Hello. SO when strumming, I;ve learned that generally in a 4/4 beat you strum 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & . The numbers representing the down strum and & representing up. Now I wanted to know if Im playing with a metronome or playing in general, can I upstrum on the numbers if I'm looking for that sound. For example 1 > down & >up 2>up &>up 3>down &> down 4> down & up. or does the numbers always have to be down sturm and & always up strum?

One of the more significant things to know about playing guitars is that these rules are much closer to a rule of thumb than an actual rule. Learning a 4/4 pattern is a skill. It's not a rule that you must follow. Don't get me wrong, these are important skills to learn so it's best to be comfortable with these types of skills.

However, you're on the road to playing and possible even creating music. Which means that those skills you learn can be applied in a myriad of ways. Including the upstroke pattern you detailed. There's no reason not to try it.

That's music. When you start feeling like you can play something and then start making it your own.

Where you want to focus on 'rules' is understanding the theory part that includes chords, intervals and scales and all that. These are more than skills, these things help the fretboard make sense.

The skills along with the theory rules help make you a musician.

Don't let any of that overwhelm you. It'sall part of the journey.

# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.