View post (F major chord....)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/21/2019 5:56 pm
Originally Posted by: mikefsmI am a begginner and I am trying really really hard to get the Fmaj chord with no luck. I tried all positions, exercises with my hand and guitar and nothing....[/quote]

Let's see if this helps.

Do this simple diad version of the F chord for now. Put the tips of your ring and middle fingers on these notes. Reach your fingers around until you can comfortably grab those notes (fingertips straight down into the strings) and your thumb on the back of the neck. Do not hold any part of the neck with the palm of your hand.

F chord:

E |----------|[br]B |----------|[br]G |-2--------|[br]D |-3--------|[br]A |----------|[br]E |----------|

Any time you need an F major chord just play that. Later, work on adding the next string!

E |----------|[br]B |-1--------|[br]G |-2--------|[br]D |-3--------|[br]A |----------|[br]E |----------|

Try that and let me know how it goes. You can gradually add the E string barre later after you can do those first 2 options.

Originally Posted by: mikefsm

So, would it ok to say that if I can´t play that chord, I could play Fm7 instead?? I mean I now they are they same, but sound kind of similar to me, and its really frustating to see songs in the lesson plan with Fm and not to be able to play them.

[p]No, F minor chord is not a good substitute for F major chord. But this part of your post makes it sound like the F minor chord is what you are struggling with.

[quote=mikefsm]

Give some advice and please dont just tell me its about practice cuz I am now practicing hard, but I need some advice, tactics, workaround or something

Okay, but no matter what the solution or workaround is . . . it's going to involve practice. :)

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory