View post (The myth of the "self-taught" guitarist.)

View thread

u10ajf
u10ajf
11/15/2002 1:50 pm
To quote Azreal

"the only thing that MIGHT make a "self tought" guitarrist a bit better is the fact that his style is not influenced by a teacher."

I used to worry a hell of a lot about being un-original and that compelled me not to work from books or to undertake the hasslesome job of learning to read music. Now I really regret that. I'd urge anyone learning guitar not to let their pride to subvert their learning potential. I literally never consciously learned anyone elses pieces for many years. That has now changed (a little) but I'm caught in a rut It's really held my playing back. In spite of this urge for originality I have finally found that some of the stylistic tendencies of my heros like Satch and Lifeson are rubbing off in my playing. I daresay I would be further down that road if I'd swallowed my pride.
If you want to be really original make damn sure you don't listen to anyone else's music! Get a degree in acoustic physics and find a new intervallic system for your guitar! Nobody will be able to jam with you, it will probably sound horrible but at least you'll be able to credit yourself with it and feel smug.
Alternatively learn every style available and pick and choose from any style you want without worrying that you have been stylistically polluted by influences! Then we might all want to rip you off!
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?