Names of chords?

da_teach
da_teach
10/20/2019 1:20 am

Hello everybody,

Today I was showing a friend some chords I learned here on the page. While I was playing the chords, like C Major and explaining that it was a C Major, he said that the name was "Do"

When I played a D Major, he said that was a "Re"

So he knows the chords by Do, Re, Mi, but I learned them here as C major, D, major so my question is, which way is correct? and if both are, then why are we learning them like that only if both names are possible?

Thanks everybody

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
10/20/2019 2:59 am
Originally Posted by: mikefsmso my question is, which way is correct? and if both are, then why are we learning them like that only if both names are possible?

[br]If you're discussing with other guitarists, refer to the C major scale by conventional alphabetical note nomenclature. Solmization relevant to the C major scale isn't [u]generally[/u] used in guitar IME & TMK.

The C major scale consists of 7 ascending notes starting from the root note, CDEFGAB(C) ending again on the root note C. That's how you should learn it.

Right now, the backstory on solmization is really just nice to know but superfluous information when you've other more relevant things to assimilate. If you follow the syllabus and maintain focus, you'll learn what you [u]need[/u] to know.

Technically though, your friend isn't incorrect re assignation of the syllables Do Re Mi etc to the C major scale. More about it here.

# 2
da_teach
da_teach
10/20/2019 3:27 am

Hi thanks,

Just to elaborate a bit more, I wasn't talking about C major scale, I was talking about the C Major Chord that I learned on the first lessons from the level 1 Fundamentals for example.

So, what I mean is that this C Major he knows it as Do

The D Major chord he knows it as Re

E Major he knows it as Mi

and so on and on

So music chords are universal but it will be tricky to talk to someone else if I call a chord C major while other people called them Do and so on.... shouldn't the names be all the same worldwide?

The C major scale consists of 7 ascending notes starting from the root note, CDEFGAB(C) ending again on the root note C. That's how you should learn it.

Right now, the backstory on solmization is really just nice to know but superfluous information when you've other more relevant things to assimilate. If you follow the syllabus and maintain focus, you'll learn what you [u]need[/u] to know.

Technically though, your friend isn't incorrect re assignation of the syllables Do Re Mi etc to the C major scale. More here about it here, which explains it better than the Wikipedia entry.

[/quote]
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/20/2019 2:43 pm
Originally Posted by: mikefsm

Just to elaborate a bit more, I wasn't talking about C major scale, I was talking about the C Major Chord that I learned on the first lessons from the level 1 Fundamentals for example.

So, what I mean is that this C Major he knows it as Do

The D Major chord he knows it as Re

E Major he knows it as Mi

[/quote]

That's wrong. Or at best, I've never heard it used that way. Especially considering there is a very specific accepted usage for those terms called solfege.

The solfege syllables "Do Re Mi Fa Sol La Ti" can refer to a movable system or a fixed system. But they always refer to scale degrees and not chords. We have a system for identifying chord relationships called Roman Numeral analysis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solfege

Most people regard it as movable. The practical result of this is that it is synonymous with the major scale.

The solfege lines up with any & all major scales.

Do (root)[br]Re (2nd)[br]Mi (major 3rd)[br]Fa (4th)[br]So (5th)[br]La (major 6th)[br]Si or Ti (major 7th)

So, if C is the root note, then it is a C major scale.

C - Do (root)[br]D - Re (2nd)[br]E - Mi (major 3rd)[br]F - Fa (4th)[br]G - So (5th)[br]A - La (major 6th)[br]B - Si or Ti (major 7th)

But, if D is the root note, then it is a D major scale.

D - Do (root)[br]E - Re (2nd)[br]F# - Mi (major 3rd)[br]G - Fa (4th)[br]A - So (5th)[br]B - La (major 6th)[br]C# - Si or Ti (major 7th)

And so on. I cover this in my tutorial on the major scale.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=363

Thanks to ManXcat the link!

[quote=mikefsm]So music chords are universal but it will be tricky to talk to someone else if I call a chord C major while other people called them Do and so on.... shouldn't the names be all the same worldwide?

Yes, they should. And they are. :) This is why learning music theory is important. So we have a universally understood set of concepts in order to identify & communicate about music.

I have a tutorial that covers the method for identifying & labelling chord relationships, called Roman Numeral analysis.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2387

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
da_teach
da_teach
10/20/2019 7:06 pm

Amazin explanation!!

Thank you for clearing this out!!!

I have a tutorial that covers the method for identifying & labelling chord relationships, called Roman Numeral analysis.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=2387

Hope that helps!

[/quote]
# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/21/2019 10:00 pm
Originally Posted by: mikefsm

Amazin explanation!!

Thank you for clearing this out!!!

[p]You're welcome!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.