View post (How do you use these lessons? Pieces of a puzzle.)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
10/13/2019 10:04 pm

My observation is that something's definitely missing [u]for you[/u] Tony.

In my observation, the GT course structures are reasonably building block hierarchical, especially Christopher's. I think that's why most of us [u]choose[/u] to be here?

[br]What comes to mind for me in reading what you wrote relating to my own guitar journey and progress so far along with what I have learned from initially being a student myself through to eventually instructing over a professional lifetime in a different but equally dynamic and challenging vocation is either I'm not properly comprehending what you're saying, or something only you can identify and answer, you're possibly temperamentally lacking the prerequisite discipline, tenacity and perseverence to stick with a structure without skipping through basics or 'boring' parts or sticking with challenges which arise until you understand them and achieve the necessary level of demonstrated skill before moving to something else which excites you to which you redirect your attention? Of course, I could be paddling up the wrong creek here, but am sincerely trying to assist from my interpretation of what I read here.

I joined GT in February 1018, so have been been doing this course approximately the same length of time as you, and was basically a complete raw beginner again when I started after a hiatus of nearly 45 years. If you follow the course structure here, there's no reason by now you shouldn't be campfire legend with an acoustic set sufficient to keep people engaged quite literally for hours, let alone a flyby "30 minutes".

[br]Suggestions? I'd start with these.

1. Stick with the [u]progressive[/u] syllabus.

2. Be [u]patient, tenacious, disciplined.[/u]

3. [u]Play lots[/u] at every opportunity, every day if you can even if just for 10-15 minutes.

4. Focus on enjoying the journey. [u]All of it[/u]. I suspect that might be your "something is missing".

Works for me. It might for you too? GL with it.