Constructing a Guitar, Fret board problems

SoS
SoS
11/11/2002 6:37 am
Hi everyone,
It's been awhile since i posted thread or replied on guitar tricks. Mainly due to the massive work load of school, but anyway down to business
I'm doing a course in school called individual study, where you choose anything you can think of to do during the semester. What better topic could there be than learning to contruct your own guitar. This is really a question more than a informative experience.
Dear experience guitar makers, i am having a very difficult time constructing the neck to my guitar. I have the right distance and all but the shape is really starting to bug me. Its taking me ages to morph the fret board to my liking and making it perfect for playing.
Can anyone give me any advice or tips, it would be greatly appreciated
{SOS}
# 1
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
11/12/2002 5:59 am
I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but, if shaping the radius of the fretboard is what you are talking about, after you decide what radius you like, the easiest method for shaping it would be to order a Radius sanding block from somewhere like Stew-Mac, and just work your way thru the appropiate grit sandpapers until you get the radius and finish you want, it shouldn't take too much time at all, after you get done shaping the radius you might want to ever so slightly round off those hard square edges, just enough to get rid of that sharp edge that makes new guitars feel uncomfortable when compared to a well broke-in old neck, hope that helps... what kind of wood are you using for the fretboard? Hows the project coming?....
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.