Curtis Loew, Ed's parts?

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
10/07/2019 5:23 am

Hi Mike, just wondering if you have your Strat on this lesson set up especially for slide guitar, as in high action with 11's or higher. Or do you play with that type set up regularly. Just wondering because i want to add some slide technique into my playing,and on this song i would like to blend some of the octaves, chord progressions and slide together.I'm new to slide and normally play 10's with standard action. But most people say i need at least 11's and higher settings. Am i making sense, Any suggestions, By the the way you've been doin some killer stuff on here! As always thanks my Friend!

# 1
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
10/08/2019 1:49 am

i'm tryin' to gather info from S. White also. My guitars are just not working for me on the slide parts at this point I'm just feeling like ineed something more dedicated for that style. Maybe as my skill increases i won't feel as hampered by guitar set ups and such. Thanks again Mike!

# 2
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/10/2019 3:00 pm

HI Steven!!

The Strat I used for the video was not set up specifically for slide - and that makes it a bit tougher to play clean slide parts.

For sure, having a guitar set up with heavier strings and higher action really does make it easier to play slide, so if you play alot of that style, it's worth having one ready to go if you can!

That said, you can still play slide on a regular guitar setup - but you have to adjust your technique with a lighter touch (with the slide on the strings) to keep the parts crisp and clean. Sometimes you'll hear the slide touch the fretwire if you're downward pressure is too much - just something to watch out for!

Hope this helps!! Keep rockin'!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 3
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
10/11/2019 3:18 am

Hi Mike, With a standard set up i know those parts are pretty difficult to nail. If i could get mine to sound as good as yours i probably would'nt worry with a set up. But since i'm not there i took one of my less used guitars to be set up today. Maybe at some point i'll get to where i can do what you do and get light and accurate enough to get by with what i have..Thanks for the very much valued info My Friend!

# 4
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/11/2019 1:20 pm

Sounds great - let me know how it works out!!

Mike

Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

Hi Mike, With a standard set up i know those parts are pretty difficult to nail. If i could get mine to sound as good as yours i probably would'nt worry with a set up. But since i'm not there i took one of my less used guitars to be set up today. Maybe at some point i'll get to where i can do what you do and get light and accurate enough to get by with what i have..Thanks for the very much valued info My Friend!

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.