Which Pickups?

Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
11/09/2002 7:14 pm
I have a Cort s2550 guitar...it has a maple body and has two single coils and a humbucker on the bridge. It is a Wilkinson floating bridge, so I am not looking for F-spaced pickups.
What would give a nice sound for warm bluesy riffs and quite hectic overdrive. Would it be a good Idea to replace my single coils as well? I have Cort Factory ( Mighty Mite ) pickups at the moment...but they aren`t very good at all. Please help
Andrew
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
11/09/2002 7:45 pm
Can't recommend any pickups for that style, but I do think you'll need f-spaced pickups for a Wilkinson bridge.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/10/2002 5:57 pm
A maple-bodied guitar should have wonderful tone if you can find a pickup to bring it out!

My own experience is with DiMarzio pickups. Download their catalog, and spend some time sorting through the info. I use a Super Distortion (wired for switchable series/parallel connection) in the bridge position of my 'Brand X' Yamaha SBG 1000. Its not as hot as some of the newer humbuckers made for metal, so the overdrive is smoother, more 'classic'. With the coils connected in parallel, the output is a little lower, and a little more trebly, so you can get some really nice, warm, blues sounds that still cut through the mix.

I hear good things about Seymour Duncan, but I haven't got any personal experience with them.

As a rule of thumb, look for relatively low-output humbuckers with a bit more mid-range, for your bridge pickup. You might want to consider some of the new noiseless single-coils, or the stacked humbuckers that will fit in the same body cavity as your originals. Be sure that the bridge pickup will have a bit more output than the other two, so you can balance the sound properly.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.