View post (Help with what scales to play over chords)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
09/24/2019 12:49 pm

Hello Christopher! I am probably more excited than a man my age should ever get! I think I just wrote my 1st piece of music thanks to your help!

Last night I explained to my son what I was working on and asked for his help by having him lay down a basic groove. He came up with a little 4 chord something and I did exactly as you instructed. I wrote out each note of the 4 chords, made a scale out of them and started noodling. They seemed to fit.

We then recorded his little jam and played it back through one of our montiors so that he could jump on the drum kit. I started to play my scale. It wasn't music but things did seem to fit and it was entirely awesome to be jamming with my son!

For this morning's practice I decided I should try to write some solo parts that would be "melodic" - fully admitting this is an extreme stretch of the word. This is what I have come up with so far. It still needs work, but I am pretty stoked to try it out tonight after work with my son.

This is the absolute best Christopher... to be jamming with my son. It doesnt get much better than this.

Thank you again for your help!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!