View post (Help with what scales to play over chords)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/20/2019 12:12 pm
Originally Posted by: William MG

I struggle with what scale patterns I should play over particular chord patterns. Rather than type a long message a quick video works better.

Soloing, or improvising involves 3 steps.

1. Find the key

2. Target chord tones.

3. Play melodies.

So, you are on step 1: how do you find the key signature of the chord progression you are playing over? In short, you write out all the notes of the chords you are using & see if you can make a scale with them.

In your example you are playing:

D major: d-f#-a

G major: g-b-d

A major: a-c#-e

In most music this is straight forward. Often, the first chord is the root chord & the name of the scale & key signature. So, let's put all those notes in musical alphabetical order starting on d.

d-e-f#-g-a-b-c#-d

The D major scale. :) So, that's the scale that forms the key signature of that group of chords. And this is specifically a 1-4-5 progression, due to the relationship of the notes:

D-1 (I)

G-4 (IV)

A-5 (V)

That's why the D minor scale is going to sound wrong; because your chords are from the D major scale. The easiest way to adjust this is simply move the D minor pattern down 3 frets & play as if you are in B minor. Because B minor is the relative major of D. This means they share the exact same notes. But B minor regards the B note as the root, while the D major regards the D note as the root.

And the result is that you can still use the pentatonic boxes, but play in D major!

That's the answer to this particular situation. But we've only solved step 1! There is still step 2 & 3! :) With that in mind, have a look at these tutorials that will teach you how to improvise.

https://www.guitartricks.com/collection/learning-to-improvise

Hope that helps! Please ask more if necessary & best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory