View post (Change Chords on electric guitar - Newbie Question)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/08/2019 2:08 pm
Originally Posted by: Joe Newinski

I find that when I'm changing chords on my electric guitar it makes a funny noise as I'm lefting my fingers up to place them on the new chord position. What am I doing wrong?[/quote][p]Here mention when changing chords. Then you mention playing just one string. But when you say this:

[quote=Joe Newinski]

The sounds is if the string is still viberating and you slowly left your finger off the string. It's the same sound as if you aren't pushing down hard enough on the strting.

The sound comes from all the strings.

[p]That's the sound of strings rattling against the frets. As if you aren't playing solidly & cleanly enough. I think the most likely explanation is that the string height (the action) is too low & is contantly hitting one or more frets.

It could be the nut is cut too low & the strings are fretting out on frets near the nut. Or it could be that just one fret is sticking up a bit & needs to be hammered down.

You can test this by going up each string one fret at a time to heard when the sound happens. You can also eyeball down the fretboard from the headstock to the body to see if one fret or more is sticking up.

But if you are at all a beginner I strongly encourage you to simply take the guitar to a reputable music store & have them look at!

Best of success with it!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory