View post (How To Buy An Electric Guitar)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
08/30/2019 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: K-radI've been thinking about getting an electric guitar- more because I'm a night owl and I find most of my practicing happens between midnight and 2am[/quote]

Hi K-rad

If that's the case, you won't really need even a 20W practice amp. A set of decent studio headsets, preferably closed type, and either a portable practice amp like Blackstar's Fly 3 or BOSS' Katana Mini would be perfect. Alternatively you could use a VOX AmPlug, but IME (I have a NUX AmPlug equivalent) I prefer the overall functionality and versatility of my Fly 3, ....or buy both. For headset use, all current practice amps these days will have a headset port out and mp3 port in aka aux out & aux in.

If choosing between them, the AmPlugs are almost as expensive as a Fly 3, so the choice is a no brainer AFAIC. That's coming from someone from who owns and has hands on exp beyond initial buyer excitement novelty using both with electric and e-acoustic along with the option of a few other amps in my home studio.

[quote=K-rad]What is becoming painfully clear is that to make a good purchase probably means going to a place and actually trying guitars out for fit, feel and sound. That'll prevent me from buying anythinng for a super long time.

Reasonable caution is a positive attribute [u]provided[/u] it doesn't cripple the decision making process turning it into procrastination. Sooner or later you will have to 'dive in the water' if you're going to embark on the journey of learning to play guitar or experimenting with electric guitar if you already play. Better sooner AFAIC, as guitar is one of those things with a time needed to assimilate skill acquisition curve.

In my own case, when I bought my first guitar after such a long hiatus, I had had hands experience of acoustic and electric in my youth, so I had some idea of characteristics which were important to me, and where to start looking.

[br]If you can't try, and remember that [u]info overload[/u] and [u]too much choice[/u] is just as confusing and bewildering as none at all. Apply logic and a measure of discernment to advice offered on reasonably priced and versatile, and you simply can't go wrong.

There is a lot of choice out there, especially in the US, but as a bullet proof go to, a contemporary Squier Affinity Tele or Strat body and neck will be a good fretting fit for most of average height and build, and make a superb no risk first or later guitar, especially the Tele in my book. Ibanez and Epiphone et al are other popular choices, but other than a preferred or inarguably sexy look something Ibanez in particular promote heavily, it's just difficult to beat what I've recommended on value and performance for the $$$. One doesn't need to spend a lot of money to get a perfectly playable, truly enjoyable to play guitar.

Better still, another bang for the buck no brainer and errantly labeled a "beginners" guitar because it is so popular within that demographic for good reason, is a Yamaha Pacifica HSS, a contemporary take on the venerable Strat. Full disclosure (I own and play three of these in HSS config of varying segments of hardware & PUP configs, but they're just a few of many so any preferential bias is moderated with comparative balance). The alnico V model PAC112V in particular is incredibly versatile, beautifully built and finished, [u]incredible at its pricepoint.[/u] Stage ready is understatement. The 112J is even less expensive and sounds magic. I really like the tone from decent ceramic PUPs too. The only people I could perceive not loving any Pacifica are those with giant hands, as its string spacing is tighter than most -relatively.

[br]Unless buying second hand from a trusted source, any of those mentioned are so inexpensive, why would one?

[br]Just pick any one of those three in your preferred colour and shape, dive in inexpensively, get playing, enjoy, and buy that dream guitar of your imagination later when you have sufficient time hands on to determine what that'll be, because it'll change with growth on your journey.

Above all else, really enjoy everything about the journey, because having the time and energy to commit outside your career and or any other activity it might be in competition with notwithstanding, that's the key to maintaining motivation.