View post (How To Buy An Electric Guitar)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
08/28/2019 2:25 pm
Originally Posted by: yogijules

This is suuper-helpful! Thanks so much!

Sounds like it's mostly about getting something comfortable to play, [u]as tone is determined more by amps and pedals than the guitar?[/u]

NO!!! Look back up to my post above. After you get into this electrical (dark?) side more you will learn about what is called the "signal chain". But, distilled down, from the millisecond you strike the strings and the pick-ups turn those vibrations into electrons until those electrons are converted into sound coming out the speakers, your tone is modified.

The signal chain includes your pick choice, type of pickups, guitar type (hollow body vs. solidbody, etc.), pedals, amp (tube-type vs. solid state, amp vs digital, etc.)

Is tone determined by amps and pedals? Absolutely. But the issue I have with your statement is the word "more". Everything along that chain effects tone.

I remain of the opinion that the first, and possibly most significant, determinant of tone is the guitar and which pick-ups it uses, humbucker type or single coil type.

This is why I suggested seeing what your guitar idols are playing.

And this is only a starting point. My idols have always been SRV and Clapton. Strat Guys. My second "good "guitar was a Strat. I played it a lot. But over the years I've migrated more toward the humbucker tone.

Purely to confuse you, some manufacturers are producing "hybrids". Fender makes their HSS which has a humbucker and two single coils. Gibson makes guitars that you cfan "switch" from Hum to single coil.

I still encourage you to look at your idols for a starting point.

And I discourage you from using Craigs List. With "starter" guitars like a Fender Squier or made in Mexico Strat so reasonably priced there is no reason to buy a potential problem some someone you don't know. Go to a local dealer with a liberal return policy.

Years ago Santa knew that I wanted to learn guitar. She brought me a Yamaha Pacifica and a tiny little practice amp after I retired. She didn't make it in the shop at the Norht Pole but got it from a local store here. She didn't pay more than 2 or 3 hundred dollars for the kit. Over the years I have acquired more guitaars and amps and pedals, etc. Some would say too many. But I will go back and play that Yamaha on occasion and it plays great!!!

You can get a great starter electric guitar now for little investment.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45