View post (How To Buy An Electric Guitar)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
08/27/2019 11:31 pm
Originally Posted by: hobinlobo

I did have a Squier affinity, but sold that as I wasn't happy with the sound.

[p][br]Hi hobinlobo

[br]Realise this is rather closing the gate after that horse has bolted, but for others reading who may be in or find themselves in the same predicament, this would've fixed that - inexpensively. I paid [u]a lot less[/u] (under half that) for mine than the price listed here domestically. Or if preferred, same brand quality ceramic PUPs with an induction plate on the bridge PUP to get that closer to 50's vintage sound can be had for a considerably less. In the US you have so many inexpensive options, not so much in other countries, so this is more for those readers in ROW.

[br]I think the key point is probably A. as long as the owner is a technically adept hands on person, and B. the Squier Affinity Tele's contemporary neck profile, nut width and fingerboard radius works for them. It does for me.

That single PUP mod turns an inexpensive guitar into truly solid unit where no way is it the weak link, setup notwithstanding. There are numerous other minor tweaks which can be made to them to change/improve overall tone and enhance playability, or even the cosmetic, all just parts fitting really simplist of which is to swap over the pickguard for three ply. Although in my country l think even though the Affinity Tele is locally overpriced, they're a (Fender) Squier branded Tele if the name on the headstock is important to the buyer, and remain affordable to most.

I like their slimmer but still Alder body, and the top loading bridge works just fine. (I have a through load as well). They can be quickly and easily transformed too with three double barrel saddles in any material one might like including brass if preferring a different or Tele tone. The fret ends are usable out of the box, but clean up even better with a little polish work IME. A no frills inexpensive workhorse. I like 'em.