View post (How To Buy An Electric Guitar)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
08/27/2019 1:56 pm

@yogijules, you, fortunately, already received a couple very thoughtful, intelligent responses so I won't add much. Just a couple points. First, I would consider the type of music you enjoy and want to play and look at the instruments your favorite players use. manxcat, touched on this. This is a gross oversimplification, but there are two broad "categories" of guitars, the Gibson Les Paul humbucker tone type and the Fender Stratocaster single coil tone type. This is only directional decision you have to make up front. Look at what your idols play and that is a direction to start. If you're like most of us down the road you'll own guitars from both categories to fill the need!

You mentioned getting the POD in lieu of a bunch of pedals and this is very logical reasoning and a multi-effects board will save the expense of many pedals. I use a POD and haven't fired up my Fender Blues Jr. and pedals in months. But the POD has huge learning curve and unless you are retired or stay at home or otherwise have a LOT of time I would hold off. It is fun and fun is our goal. But the "rabbit hole" of chasing tone and pedals (or multi-effects board) is perhaps best left for later. Get one of the cheaper practice amps, or a cheaper amp with effects for now. That will serve you very well to get started.

Have fun shopping. And let us know what you end up with.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45