Songs in a different key

NickFerra
NickFerra
08/07/2019 10:00 am

I'm used to playing songs in standard tunings. I'm trying out for a band and they play:

Blvd of broken dreams by Green day In the key of E

And She Fn hates me by Puddle of mud in G instead of F

Can anyone help me out what to do?

I don't know how to change keys or what to play

# 1
esamgray
esamgray
08/07/2019 4:13 pm

Nick , go to Ultimate Guitar site. search Boulevard of Broken Dreams and click on chords from the menu right below all the ads. The lyrics will come up with all the chord changes and might be in who-knows-what key at first (Fm probably), but you can change it to any key - here's how: click on the 2nd one down the list, below the "official version created by UG.."

Now, look at bottom of page where it says Transpose. keep hitting the - or + till you get to the chords Em G D A, then learn it. The song is in a minor key so I don't think you'll find it in key of E. The band most likely plays it in Em. Good luck!

# 2
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
jarkko.eklund
Full Access
08/08/2019 4:49 am
Originally Posted by: NickFerra

I'm used to playing songs in standard tunings. I'm trying out for a band and they play:

Can you clarify, are you asking how to transpose key, or how to play a song in standard tuning, if alternate tuning is originally used? Those are not the same thing.

# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/08/2019 11:21 am

Hey, Nick. Both of those songs are pretty straghtforward. They all use standard tuning & simple chord progressions.

Originally Posted by: NickFerra

In general, you change keys by moving all the chords in a progression up or down the same interval. This is really easy on simple rock songs. Especially with those tunes.

The Green Day was originally played using the open chords E minor, G, D, C, A & B7. But they used a capo on the first fret so it sounds like it's in F minor (one half-step, or one fret higher). To play it in E minor, just play those chords without the capo.

The Puddle of Mud song is just 4 barre chords in F major: F, B-flat, G & C. To play them in G major, just play all the chords 2 frets higher. The interval distance from F to G is one whole step, or 2 frets. So, play all 4 chords 2 frets higher: G, C, A, D.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
NickFerra
NickFerra
08/12/2019 9:00 am

Ok, this helps a lot. Thanks guys!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.