Alternate Picking

Prod11
Prod11
11/05/2002 7:52 pm
Just when i thought i was on the right track. Nailing the crowley solo and playing purple haze was meant to be an accomplishment till i found out that i was doing it all WRONG!!
I recently saw a steve morse instructional video at http://www.guitar.com and he explained the RIGHT way of alternate picking.
Heres for another long post.
Its easy to just go to a string and go whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr (action where right hand goes up and down like a jack hammer) and then repeat that on the next string. BUT NOOO thats just way to simple!
Now the way its meant to be done is alternating from string to string so as to get that d@mn pattern where u have an up down up down motion. So if the last note u hit on a string was with a down stroke, then the next note on the next string would have to be followed by an upstroke.

Hell this is alot harder to master than is sounds. My left hand is way better than my right in terms of playability and my playing is slower than slow. I keep messing up when i go fast. And yet this is the exact same technique used by shreders out there. http://www.yngwi.com religiously go by it.

BUT look at hetfield. he made it so far without learning how to alternate pick. Yet what munqy sed was he doesn't solo thats why he can get away with it. And isn't it easier to play broken chords by using one continous down stroke instead of an up-down-up-down motion????

SO after all that bull, how do i get back to the level i was at with alternate picking. Is there any shortcuts or tips i should follow to minimize long term errors?

[Edited by Prod11 on 11-05-2002 at 01:55 PM]
0_o
# 1
Josh Redstone
Josh Redstone
11/09/2002 5:29 pm
Downstroaks on the beat, upstroaks on the offbeat. Remember that, then count when your playing, you'll get it right.
And God said, 'Let there be rock!'
-And it was good
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.