Major and Minor pentatonic scale keys help please!

Horseflesh
Horseflesh
07/21/2019 1:12 am

I have a question that's been bugging the hell out of me that I cant seem to find any answer....Everything on the Major or Minor pentatonic scales is usually demonstrated in the key of A minor or A major....now if I change the key to say G minor or major do all the positions that connected in A minor-A major still connect the same if you change the key? Simple question I can never find the answer too , thx!

# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
07/21/2019 12:48 pm
Originally Posted by: Horseflesh

I have a question that's been bugging the hell out of me that I cant seem to find any answer....Everything on the Major or Minor pentatonic scales is usually demonstrated in the key of A minor or A major....now if I change the key to say G minor or major do all the positions that connected in A minor-A major still connect the same if you change the key? Simple question I can never find the answer too , thx!

Yes. You're just moving down a few frets but the patterns are ecaxctly the same just in a different fret position.

With that in mind, It's useful to practice all positions to get your brain used to playing in different keys. A mistake that many people (including me) make is to always a lot of practicing in the 'A' positions. It's easy because the fretboard is layed out so nicely in 'A' that it becomes too easy to just hang there.

Even after a few decades of playing, I find myself falling back in to 'A' when I want to noodle around.

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/21/2019 3:39 pm
Originally Posted by: Horsefleshif I change the key to say G minor or major do all the positions that connected in A minor-A major still connect the same if you change the key?

Yes, you just move the same interconnected shapes up & down the fretboard as necessary to change keys. This is one of the great things about the guitar: the ability to transpose standard patterns. Just like all chord shapes. Or all scale shapes.

I cover the concept & application of pentatonic scales in this tutorial.

https://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=296

Thanks to Jeff for answering!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
Horseflesh
Horseflesh
07/21/2019 5:11 pm

Ok thank you both , I knew that had to be the case I just needed to know 100% to commit to it. This is gonna open a whole new world , thx!

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.