Wrist Stretch!

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/25/2019 12:05 pm

Good morning all,

This morning I was able to pull off something I have been trying to do for quite some time. That is to get my wrist into position so that I could mute the low E with my thumb while making a nice clean chord.

The chord I am making in this pic is the Amaj7 chord and is in the song "Baby I'm a Want You" and is taught by Mike.

Baby I'm a Want You

For those of us who have long lost flexibility all I can say is that even old dogs can learn new tricks and old muscles and tendons seem to be able to stretch! When I first started to try and use my thumb to mute I could do it, but I could not do it and make a clean chord, so this morning I am pretty excited.

Keep at it kids!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
06/25/2019 10:00 pm

Congratulations.

Can fully comprehend and share in your excitement.

Is that your Gibson neck in the image? And if you don't mind me asking W_MG, what glove size do you take/fit? - to provide better perspective relative to your hand size.

[br]Gotta' love persistence!

# 2
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/25/2019 10:39 pm

Thanks manX. To quote an old boss, "progress can be painfully slow". Someone famous may have said this originally but it was my old boss Ed who made it stick in my head.

Another great quote comes from Lord John Fisher, 1 admiral of the British fleet. I first read about him in the book "Dreadnaught" by Robert K Massie. It's been 20 or more years since reading the book but what I still recall was "Jackies" formula for success:

Ruthless

Relentless

Remorseless

A fascinating man. Yes I share the same admiration as yourself for the relentless or persistent pursuit of ambition!

Now, you had 2 questions. It is indeed an almost Gibson neck. Although I am astonished you can derive that from such a pic. Is it possible that you recalled - without realizing - the head of an Epiphone peaking up in the corner of my guitar project video? The guitar is that Epi. It's a Les Paul Jr I keep at the office for practice. I refer to it as my Pawn Shop Princess. Purchased for the grand sum of $80! I love the little thing.

I wear a medium glove.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
06/26/2019 12:03 am

Thanks for the glove size. Provides a meanful datum. For cross reference, I'm a medium too in a true fit last.

Re the "Gibson". A bit of both. I did see the headstock in your office subliminally recalled and also recall your mention of your guitars at some point in previous conversations.

Not being label status conscious, I tend to refer to Epiphone branded product copies of Gibsons, ES, LP, SG etc, as the parent company Gibson lumping the two together without differentiation as their primary price segmentation purpose nothstanding, the design specs of neck profiles, fingerboard radius are generally the same or very similar in comparative style for style models, differing predominantly in tech fitout and finish AFAIC.

I wanted to know/confirm both of the above to give accurate perspective to the picture. Neck profile, fingerboard radius, string spacing etc.

Strangely enough and which surprised me, one of the most comfortable and fastest necks to fret in my collection is the neck of my "Aldicaster" cheapie. It's dimensions are contemporary standard Squier Affinity Tele nut width, string spacing, fret size, fingerboard radius and neck profile and of course, scale length. Making it even more of a delight, it's blessed with a fingerboard which as luck or good managment would have it, has been manufactured to such a QC standard, that it accomodates the setting of super low action without buzzing. Astonishing would be understatement. And for just AUD$99! Currently about CAD$91. So I comprehend the glee you derive from your "Pawn Shop Princess".

[br]Have a guest arriving shortly. Must dash.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.