View post (Guitar build nombre deux)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/15/2019 6:21 pm

So this has a bit of explaining.

A short time ago I posted that I was doing a guitar build and invited members to join me in the fun. The goal was to learn through the experience. Not so much about woodworking but more about the electronics. There is a lot of complexity in these little pots and pickups I am learning.

So off to the internet I trodded and when I arrived I placed an order for a pretty nice looking Les Paul kit. Eager to get started I told the sales bot to send me the kit next day delivery.

The next day the kit arrived but it did not look quite so promising in hand as it had looked at the internet store. There were many issues with the body and neck. We're talking dings and dents. Hmmm, this kit had cost me $299 plus 15% tax - I am not including the shipping cost here as I chose next day shipping - and I was not at all happy. So at that point I felt this is too much money for a piece of kit with so many quality issues and decided I would contact the vendor to discuss a return.

The vendor was very cooperative, offering either an exchange or a refund. He would pay the shipping.

But either solution had its problems. There was no guarantee the replacement would be any better. Getting a refund still left me in the position of needing a guitar to experiment with. I thought of buying used and starting there, but there is so much work involved in stripping finish I didn't want to do that.

So after considering my goal and my options, I decided to work with what I had provided all the bits fit together well. They did. So the build is on.

One question with this project was the color I would go with. I had many ideas but what I decided on was what you see in the pic. The car is very special to me as this project is. I plan to finish the sides, back and neck in matte black to match the car. The orange color itself is Mopar GoMango.

In this build I dont plan to use the kits wiring plan. I have other ideas in mind that I will discuss at a later time. This message is long enough.

Wish me luck!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!