View post (Gear chat follow up with manXcat)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
05/30/2019 9:08 pm

Been to CA a number of times and seen a lot of it from the air. What seems an aeon ago now, I did oceanic (air) ferrying for a time. Based out of the US, and we used to use either St John's in Newfoundland or Halifax if the weather was unsuitable in St John's as jumping off points for staging through either the Azores or Reykjavik. But got to see other places in CA too as we would have to stop in Moncton to see the Canadian TCAA for permits or paperwork if /as required (civil aviation bureacracies in every country except perhaps the USA forever changing their names, I can't for the life of me remember the Canadian one back then) or other places due either horrendous weather or for refuelling. Not so much the cold I recall as that biting Newfoundland Atlantic Coast gale on an open tarmac, even in July! The coast adjacent the Coral Sea here is a mite milder.

Yamaha don't do Seafoam any more TMK (?), although I am given to understand they did many years ago on early model Pacificas. I like it. Cort do a similar shade they label Carribean Green, presumably to avoid risk of Fender contesting them over the nomenclature I suspect. I like it. People often mistake/mislabel Yamaha's current Sonic Blue Pacifica for Seafoam. I also have a Pacifica in Sonic Blue with Rosewood fingerboard and satin Maple headstock. A very vintage colour, now vogue again. Drop dead gorgeous colour.

I laboured over the decision as the 612VII is the flagship of their HSS + vibrato bridge Pacifica range. An all black guitar -dark- is quite a departure for me, but in translucent gloss finish over the flame maple veneer on the body and headstock top surfaces it's tastefully done by Yamaha. I think of it as my musical masculine equivalent of the timeless classic Chanel little black dress. As I've discovered though, the negative with the colour is that like an all black car, it highlights every fingermark or smudge and shows up every speck of dust. From hereon in, any more Pacificas will be on the basis of one in, one out.

Do you play the bass? Like most playing electric guitar I suspect, I have toyed with the idea of buying and trying a bass, and if I am to confess, the curiosity driven inclination is still subliminally resident. A decent tool to learn with from all the manufacturers is so affordable, albeit requiring the addition of a dedicated base amp. In the end, I decided that I didn't want the distraction whilst learning guitar. So far discipline has prevailed on the numerous occasions when, seduced by their cool colours, sleek styling and affordability with money burning a hole in my pocket like a kid in a candy store wanting to try everything he sees, that greedy gremlin hops on my shoulder and whispers temptation in my ear. I sense discipline will prevail for a time to come yet. I see the parallel between guitar vs bass in the same light as mountain biking vs road cycling, or ag flying vs instrument flying or flying a heli vs jet. Common origins, but vastly different disciplines requiring skillsets in their own right. They sure look 'purty' though.