my first performance

zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/01/2002 2:18 pm
it was just for my english class. after 4 years of playing this was the first time i performed in front of anybody. i played the entire version of Metallica's One. i arranged the two guitar parts into one and played unaccompanied. i played decently though i thought i could play better. i made a few mistakes, but i think i'm the only who noticed or cared. but in the end the class was really impressed so i guess that's what matters.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 1
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
11/01/2002 5:26 pm
My first performence was when I was 16 yrs. old. It was at this small club called Mejeriet and we played in front of about 20-30 people. I remember the set list as well: Detroit Rock City, Lepher Messiah, Wasted Years, Creeping Death and Fear Of The Dark. Evrything went pretty good except that our drummer fu*cked it up in the middle of Creeping Death and neither I our basist didn´t know what to du so we just pumped on E until he camed back in the rythm. It must have been very vierd but it was good ´cause with eye contact we started on the same spot -Die By My Hand, I creep across the land... However it was pretty shaky before the gig but lot of people came afterwards and told us that we kicked ass.

But I didn´t count in our singer ´cause he really sucked ass. He was just stearing in the papers with lyrics and sang here and there. Thank god, he´s not with us anymore.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 2
trendkillah
trendkillah
11/01/2002 9:18 pm
I played my first gig when I was 13 or 14, had been playing for about a year/year and a half at that time. A friend of my sister needed to find a replacement for their rythm guitarist, who was sick. So, they asked me, and I most willinly accepted the offer. Keep in mind, these guys were like 18-19yo, pretty intimidating for little me. ;)

We played a set of about 10 songs, going from Radiohead's "Creep" to Pantera's "This Love", and a few originals. As far as I can remember, it went pretty smooth, and the crowd(+/- 50 people) seemed to dig it.

I'm normally a very shy person, but I think I'm so addicted to being on stage cause of how well that first gig went.

....Ahhhh...the good ol' days.....
# 3
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/02/2002 8:29 pm
My first performance was when I was 13.
I played TNT in my school.
That was the worst performance in the history of time.
And I dont just mean my own performances, it was the
worst of all performances in the world EVER. But it was fun!
Our drummer had played for about 2 weeks.
We had two singers, one tried to sound like the Pantera singer,
and one tried som bruce dickinson-style.
It sounded awful.
I had just started playing electric guitar so I sucked.
The other guitarist sucked aswell.
Our janitor rigged the sound.
It was terrible.
All you could here was the song, well sometimes we played
totally different parts of the song, so then the singers
stopped singing to hear where we were, and then you
could hear us.
When we were going to start playing I realized that I'd
lost my pick, so I had to use a coin.
I had a homemade pair of jeansshorts, a white T-shirt
and a sports jacket to look like Angus Young (that failed).
In the middle of the song one of the singers took
his shirt off and started writing "TNT" on his chest
with a magic marker. He also wanted us to burn some
african flag, but we said no. I didnt understand why he
wanted to do that, but later on he became a nazi so now I do.

But it was great!
I had a great time, and apparently the audience did too.
It wasnt good, but hell it was my first time, I had fun
and I will NEVER forget it!

Dejan:
Swedish eey?
I've also been to Mejeriet, I thought it was quite nice.

# 4
Slow Diver
Slow Diver
11/02/2002 9:10 pm
My first performance was somewhat similar to mc9mm's. i was 14. We performed in the gym of one high school. It was a disco show, but we had two friends who studied there and they asked if we could play. It was really funny because our drummer was playing on a solo drum and a cymbal. The two guitars and the bass were plugged in one big amp. We played Satifaction and Break On Through but we knew only the main riffs and the other parts we completely made up. Also our singer, who during rehearsals was the "big rock star and sex symbol" was totally stage frighted and he was hiding behind the rhythm guitarist actually -- he said that the cable of the microphone was not long enough but we all knew what the truth was. I have all this recorded on tape and every time I hear it I laugh a lot.
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.