Guitarist asking for jazz tips

hendrixintraining
hendrixintraining
10/31/2002 2:05 am
Ok here's the story, next year is my senior year, i've been playing for about 2 years now, i'm alrite(the best songs i can play are "crazy train" and "Welcome to the jungle" all the song, not just parts). And i'm comtemplating going out for my school's jazz band next year, the only thing is i have never tooken the time to learn sheet music, if i wanna do this i have to cuz i've never been in band before. Timing i understand i just don't read sheet music. I'm going to start studying now so by this time next year i'll be able to sight read and all the stuff (since i play at least 2 hours every day i should have no problem doing this). My question is does anyone have anything suggestions of scales or anything i should learn? or has anyone seen a jazz song in an issue of guitar one in the past year (that's all the issues i have). Thank you for all the info
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
10/31/2002 1:48 pm
Ok, now, you may end up being vey good at sight reading, but setting yourself the goals of not having a problem with it within a ear or two may not be realistic, or possible. Goals should be long term, not like "I want to master the neo-classical style in the next year". So, otherwise... Listen to jazz music lots and lots and lots (did I say lots). Can you play as well as those guys? Kepp practising. Theory is very important, especially in improvising off chord changes. Phrasing is essential. How good is yours?
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.