View post (I Got the (Fuzz) Spirit!)

View thread

DanL1553
Full Access
DanL1553
Full Access
04/29/2019 2:53 am

I'm afraid that I have no ear for matching my simple rig to a band's sound. I dial in what sounds good to me and use that for most everything.

My go to amp is a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 36 Combo on 5 Watt Power Soak. Comfortable volume inside and virtually no sound outside. Use the Clean Channel with 25-50% Gain, depending on my mood. I use the Clean Channel 90% of the time.

I have an H9 in the effects loop (on a foot switch) set to Dark Angel; never move it from there. I have a JHS Mufflette Fuzz set to "The Russian" (Star Icon). Love fuzz (even been known to play Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" or "With a Little Help from my Friends" rhythm all fuzzed out!) Have a Keeley D&M Distortion/Boost that I use very occasionally; I tend to use the H&K Lead and Crunch Channels for dirtier rhythm and lead. Also have a Wampler EGO Compressor that I haven't tried to learn yet.

I have the American Strat (pictured as my Avatar) that is my go to practice/play instrument. Has a Humbucker in the bridge position that I can switch either way. I have a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Honey Burst that I love using once I get comfortable with whatever I want to play. Also have a '62 Melody Maker that I baught in 1969 from a high school friend for $20.

Will likely use the Les Paul for everything and switch from my H&K Clean Channel to the Lead Channel for the solo.