View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

mnbryant2001
mnbryant2001
07/24/2019 4:53 am

I’m 50. I started two years ago this month. It’s been very rewarding. Learned from a book the first year. Then found this sight when I wanted to learn songs.

How long it takes depends on the person. I only know 3 complete songs. House of the Rising Sun, Ed Kings guitar on Sweet Home Alabama, minus the solos, and She Talks to Angels. The later two songs took me 8 months to learn. Not easy song though. I’ve also researched a lot about practice and how the brain learns. The first year and a half I went to fast. Had a lot mistakes to clean up. And playing it perfectly every time, I’m not sure is possible. Though I have heard of a few musicians who got a song right the first time while recording it. Mistakes happen. Get it perfect 5 times in a row is possible though. But more frustrating at the start.

As far as practice, I learn much faster now after all the research. Start slow. For the majority of time that’s been 20 bpm for me. I can start some things as high as 60 bmp now. I stay at my starting speed until I get it right 5 times in a row. It takes patience but pays off. Once your fingers learn exactly what to do, speed comes easier. Then I move the metronome up 5 bpm. Play there until I get it right 5 times in a row, etc.

Also I don’t work on the same thing for 30 minutes anymore. I take 3 things and work on them 5 minutes each. Repeating it 3 times. Right now I’m working on 3 songs. So I’ll do a 45 minute practice using that method. The brain retains more information that way. Though you won’t advance as much that day. But you will loose way less the next day.

Before I’d get better at something that day, the next day I couldn’t do it that speed. It’s a common thing. One step forward and 3 back. By doing 5 minutes at a time the brain stays focused and constantly updates the info you give it within going into autopilot. Which causes the loss of learning the next day. Studies say blocked practiced only retains about half of what is learned compared to the interleaved practice that I do now.

And for me it also keeps things fresh alternating them. Versus the boredom of repeating one thing over and over for 45 minutes. I also practice at work during breaks and lunch. But still do the 5 minutes sets even if I only have 15 minutes.