View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
06/21/2019 12:27 pm

I'm 57. I took some lessons when I was in my early 20's. I was never particularly good but apparently learned more than I thought because most everything in GF1 was familiar. I'm not advancing terribly fast but fast enough and I am sure I would be advancing much more slowly had it not been for my earlier lessons. I still have problems going through a song without lot's of mistakes (missed finger placements, buzzy strings, forgetting what comes next, etc.) though. I assume if I keep practicing (and practicing right) I will get better, but I'm good enough to enjoy what I'm doing.

I've completed GF1. For redundancy I also did the discontinued GF1 course by Chris. I now have a set of maybe a dozen or so songs I'm trying to learn before moving on to GF2. I don't have aspirations to be in a band or anything. I anticipate that I will always be a bedroom player. I really think it helps to enjoy the journey and not think too much about the destination. I like the tone of my acoustic. I can just play a slow arpegiated chord and derive satisfaction from the sound of that. I also enjoy learning theory for theory's sake. I'll lay in bed and watch youtube videos on chord progressions or key modulation strategies and so on. I suspect as I add more gear (which I think a great deal about), I will enjoy that as well just for the sake of playing with and exploring the capabilities of new toys. I think I'm enjoying this time around more than the first, in large measure because I'm not so much trying to be something but am just enjoying the process and my baby steps forwards.