View post (The Old Folks' Beginners Thread)

View thread

sgautier8th
Full Access
sgautier8th
Full Access
05/11/2019 4:54 pm

Soooo, I went forward and completed all of the lessons in Fundamentals 2. Yay! Though, to be honest, I'm not as excited as when I finished Fundamentals 1 because I realize that I need to go back and continue to practice and master a number of things:

- Barre Chord transitions (especially open to barre, minor to major, 5th to 6th string root)

- memorizing note positions and open scales

- Reading music (I mostly watched the tab, though certainly understand how to read the notes, just can't do it while playing)

- Three note harmonies - it's like you need to have a finger-position plan for the left and right hand when you start learning the song. Ugghhh!

So, I want to move on to Country, Blues and Rock courses to learn riffs and techniques that will allow me to noodle and create sounds, I want to learn more songs (with some good strumming technique and some melody notes thrown in) and I want to become more proficient in the Fundamentals. I need some guidance on how to balance all of this so that I progress eficiently, but don't get bored or overly frustrated.

Going to get an inexpensive amp stand at GC today. Always love new stuff to reenergize and a $40 amp stand is a good alternative to a new guitar that I can't afford and I don't need just yet (but hopefully soon).

How are all of the other Old Folks Begginners doing? Let's keep each other motivated folks!

Scotty - 50 yr. old begginner!