vibrato

lovinmom3
lovinmom3
03/26/2019 4:08 pm

im havin great probles string vibrato any explanations?

# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/27/2019 1:27 pm

Hi Donna, please work through Anders' vibrato lesson:

https://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=20182&s_id=1589

He's using the ring finger with the index and middle fingers right behind on the string for support. Slowly bend the note up just a bit (enough to hear the pitch increase slightly) then bring back down and repeat to practice the motion. Once you build up your strength you can start to practice this motion faster and faster.

Let me know how it goes!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
lovinmom3
lovinmom3
07/29/2019 1:42 am

thanks mike keep it here and ill practice it 7/28/2019 940pm est

# 3
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/30/2019 1:45 pm

Excellent Donna!

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 4
mcabrera08
Full Access
mcabrera08
Full Access
02/26/2021 5:20 am

Is it supposed to be painful on the index finger tip when first starting out? It is extremely painful when I practice and after the last few days, the tip of my finger feels like tendered hamburger meat.

Are we supposed to have a callus on the index finger before even attempting this? It's really painful.

# 5
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/26/2021 1:20 pm

If you experience any pain whatsoever while playing guitar, stop immediately. Give your fingertips a break, and try again in a few days.

Are you talking about working on vibrato only? Or are there any other techniques you are learning that cause pain?

My advice is to only practice this technique for a few minutes at a time - as long as it is not becoming really painful. Eventually, you should develop calluses on your fingertips that should allow you to play longer.

Also make sure you are not pressing your finger into the fretboard too hard. Aim to apply just enough pressure to sound the note and move the string slightly for the vibrato effect.

Hope this helps - let me know how it goes!

Mike

Originally Posted by: mcabrera08

Is it supposed to be painful on the index finger tip when first starting out? It is extremely painful when I practice and after the last few days, the tip of my finger feels like tendered hamburger meat.

Are we supposed to have a callus on the index finger before even attempting this? It's really painful.

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 6
mcabrera08
Full Access
mcabrera08
Full Access
02/27/2021 7:41 am

Thank you so much Mike!!

Your explanation of, "Also make sure you are not pressing your finger into the fretboard too hard. Aim to apply just enough pressure to sound the note and move the string slightly for the vibrato effect." really helped me out.

I was totally pressing my finger into the fretboard too hard. Knowing to apply just enough pressure totally helped me understand the concept and execute it much better.

The vibrato effect is starting to come along now. Thanks again!!

Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

If you experience any pain whatsoever while playing guitar, stop immediately. Give your fingertips a break, and try again in a few days.

Are you talking about working on vibrato only? Or are there any other techniques you are learning that cause pain?

My advice is to only practice this technique for a few minutes at a time - as long as it is not becoming really painful. Eventually, you should develop calluses on your fingertips that should allow you to play longer.

Also make sure you are not pressing your finger into the fretboard too hard. Aim to apply just enough pressure to sound the note and move the string slightly for the vibrato effect.

Mike

# 7
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/28/2021 12:10 am

That's excellent!! Glad it's working out now!

Mike

Thank you so much Mike!!

Your explanation of, "Also make sure you are not pressing your finger into the fretboard too hard. Aim to apply just enough pressure to sound the note and move the string slightly for the vibrato effect." really helped me out.

I was totally pressing my finger into the fretboard too hard. Knowing to apply just enough pressure totally helped me understand the concept and execute it much better.

The vibrato effect is starting to come along now. Thanks again!!

Originally Posted by: Mike Olekshy

Mike

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.