View post (Rank Beginner at 55, looking for a song approach)

View thread

LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/05/2019 4:30 pm

It is great that you are clear on what you MOST want to learn to do (play lead). It is possible to play some pretty good lead guitar if you spend time mastering the pentatonic scale, and understand some basics of music theory - such as, 'what chords are likely to appear in a song that is in the key of C?' (or whatver key).

So that would be the super-short-cut path to what it is you most wish to be able to play. That said, the more SOLID your overall foundation is on the instrument (in other words, yes, going through all the lessons and doing your best to master the techniques), the more delicious and delightlful your lead playing will ultimatley be.

It really is your call - some folks want to fast-track themselves to being able to do something they love (like play lead) at a good functional level, while others want to spend more time builiding a broad and solid foundation of overall skills and understanding of the instrument first.

You have all the resources here at your fingertips - you are free to chart a path that feels like the best fit for you. And you can always re-group and try a different approach if you don't feel you are moving in the direction of your goals in a way that pleases you.

Most of all - have fun with it! -Lisa

Originally Posted by: sgautier8th

Posting to our 50+ Board to keep it near the top! Maybe GT can start a 50+ Newbie Board?

It is nice to know that you are all out there; it is definitely helping to keep me motivated to know that I'm not alone on this mid-life journey.

A week into Fundamentals 2 and I feel like my head is going to explode (as well as my wrist and hands). Up to the Amazing L (it is amazing). There is so much to practice (even just chord changes from Fundamentals 1), but there is so much to learn too and I feel like I'm just begginning to scratch the surface.

Question for the Admin - if where I really want to "get to" is playing leads, will I be better off (in the long run), slowing down a little now and really perfecting rhythm and chords before moving too much further ahead, OR is it okay to keep pressing forward and working on improving on past lessons on chords, rhythm, scales and power chords?

Typically, I will watch one or two GT lessons, then I go back with my guitar and play along. I try not to go more than a lesson or two ahead (lesson, not tutorial) until I can play along with Lisa on a lesson at regular speed without any errors.

A comment (preferably from Lisa M ?) on pace of lessons would be greatly appreciated!

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!