View post (Rank Beginner at 55, looking for a song approach)

View thread

Sasha-B
Full Access
Sasha-B
Full Access
03/27/2019 3:42 pm

Welcome to all of you! I've been playing for about a year, after a hiatus of over 30 years.

Like William, I have found using a combination of Justin and Guitar Tricks works for me. I started with Justin, then found Guitar Tricks-which has become my main source of lessons. In addition to their songs, I have an app on my phone and ipad from Four Chords which lets me play along with songs-including slowing the pace down as I learn. I did pay for full access on Four Chords and Guitar Tricks.

Because I wanted to learn how to read music, I also use the Gibson book and Fret workout to learn the notes on each fret.

As far as gear-I am a gear head anyway. Went a little crazy when I first started when I was trying to find which guitar was comfortable for me (I am a short woman with small hands. Some guitars are just too cumbersome for me), and a few amps (including the Boss JS-10, which has backing/jam tracks that I can learn how to improvise. It has become part of my practice routine).

Overall, I try to keep a structure to my practice routine. I do not always follow it and I continue to modify it as I learn new skills. I would say the only consistents are 1, 3, and 4. I go to 2 (GT) every other day-I practice the prior lesson on my GT days off.

1. spider legs to stretch my fingers;

2. GT lesson (now on Beginner Blues)

3. scales up the entire strings (I say the notes as I play it. It is slow going at first, but it is teaching me the notes because that is one of my personal goals).

4. Chord work-switching between certain chords. At this point, i am working on those I have difficulty with (F chord to C, or G. Or any chord, for that matter)

5. Practice a song I like OR use the Jam Tracks on the Boss JS-10.

Like William, I keep a practice journal, it is not fancy, just notes about what I need to work on, what I want to learn.

I keep it fun and I even speed drill myself on the spider legs just to mix it up a bit.

Again, Welcome to our community! We are just part of a group pf 50s somethings that discovered our inner blues/rock maven or king!

2021 Iris CH

2021 G&L ASAT Classic Tribute