View post (Rank Beginner at 55, looking for a song approach)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
03/24/2019 12:39 am

Hello, I can identify with your love of gear. I also started at 55 back in January.

I would say my approach is a bit of a mixed bag. I started with True Fire, taking the free beginners course and buying 2 subsequent lesson plans. I am still working through these and really feel the structure of those courses very beneficial.

Then I took some one on one lessons with a local guitar teacher. This was more to get some help with specific issues I may be having and I see if he can help. I see him only when I feel I need the extra help.

Then I signed up with Ultimate Guitar to get song tabs. I've used this to learn a few songs but there are some songs I still needed extra help with and found some excellent videos on YouTube. My goal when learning a song is to be able to play along with the actual song.

Lastly I joined Guitar Tricks. The reason was the quality I saw in the song lesson videos. Right now I am learning "Baby please don't go", a blues classic.

Like you I practice regularly. 1 hour in the morning before going to work. I keep a journal and use it to plan the next days practice session. This practice session is a combination of working on specific technical drills and song learning. In addition to this I pick up a guitar through the day and work on little things that I am struggling with, such as chord transition. One last thing I will mention is that I find a metronome very helpful for me.

Well!! That's a lot, lol. Best of luck to you!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!