View post (How can a $150 prac/bedroom amp be any good?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
02/27/2019 6:20 pm

Lots of helpful info. Thanks. I do plan on getting an electric solid-body guitar in a few months (provided that I feel like I'm making satisfactory progress with my GT lessons and will continue doing so) and the amp would be used primarily for that. I had considered getting the amp prior to the solid-body though and using it with my electro-acoustic Ovation (piezo-electric I believe). However, if that combo sounds not-so-good in the store I will put the amp on hold. I don't need an amp for the Ovation. In fact, I bought the Ovation after trying several more traditional acoustics because I liked the neckfeel and the unplugged sound (I am aware btw of the diversity of strong opinions - both pro and con regarding Ovations) and I would have preferred to not be paying for electronics. But I just got on with it better than the others. Anyway, as I do plan on getting the amp primarily for a solid body, all of the info posted earlier remains relevent and helpful.

Incidentally, after the last couple of responses, I did some internet research and it sounds, based on a couple of user reviews, that the Katana actually works pretty well with acoustic guitars. For some of the other amps mentioned in this thread, that did not appear to be the case. In any event, I will definitely need to check things out in person before any purchases.

All this raises another question in my mind. Is it correct that a hollow body or semi-hollow body should be used with an electric guitar amp rather than an acoustic-electric amp? I'm interested more out of curiousity than anything else insofar as I will most likely get a Strat.

And funny you should mention about the amps and PA systems being used partly for show these days in big Arenas. I had actually been wondering about that just a couple of days earlier for some reason. Are the PA systems the property of the venue then? The bands would typically just bring what they need to get the sound they want and then the venue takes care of projecting that sound. I don't know much, or anything, about PA systems but it makes sense to me that the venue would be in charge of the latter insofar as they can custom tailer their equipment to the idiosynchrosies of their particular arena.