View post (How can a $150 prac/bedroom amp be any good?)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/25/2019 12:39 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalkeEven with the relatively mild-mannered acoustic-electric I'm currently playing (an Ovation), I use a felt ukelele pick because I prefer the softer dynamics.[/quote]

That might change things a bit! I should have asked about your guitar. Because I assumed you had an electric solid body! Any kind of acoustic guitar is going to sound & work better with an amp made for the dynamic range of an acoustic. Like these.

https://www.sweetwater.com/c980--Acoustic_Guitar_Amps

Typically the speaker is voiced different to retain the high end harmonics of an acoustic. Most electric guitar amps intentionally chop off the really high end & boost the low & mids in order to create their expected tone.

Pluggging an electric guitar into an acoustic amp is like plugging into a stereo or a PA. Plugging an acoustic guitar into an electric guitar amp sounds kind of boxy or like you put a blanket over the amp.

The Boss Katana actually has an acoustic setting on the amp. But I've never tried it, so I can't speak to it's effectiveness.

You really want to try these amps with you guitar to make sure you are getting what you want.

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeWas especially interested to hear Chris's input that a higher watt amp at low volume will not sound as good as a lower watt amp at the same volume as I thought I had heard other people say the opposite.

You might be surprised to learn that many classic rock & blues album guitar tones were created by using small combo amps, but cranked to 10. In fact, in many cases the giant amps you see on stages are just for show. The guitar is actually running through one small amp, which is miked & run through the PA.

It's much easier to control & deal with a smaller amp cranked up, than it is to control a big amp. And big amps were only created for the purpose of filling an arena with sound. Which is ironic, because just a few years after full stacks were developed, PAs get better, bigger & more sophisticated & made large amps redundant.

But they continued to be used because they do have a certain charm. :)

http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/07/10/will-people-please-shut-up-about-the-fake-amps-on-stage-debate/

http://www.metalsucks.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Immortal-fake-cabs-604x453.jpg

Some bands & artists still use those full stacks. But usually just one is actually on & miked.

[quote=dlwalke] Like maybe a 12" speaker (like you would have on a higher watt amp) will always sound better than an 8" or smaller speaker (like you would find in a smaller amp), at least on the bass end. Anyway, thanks again.

Now, that is a separate issue & great point. I personally think a 12" speaker is necessary to get full sound, even at low wattage & low sound. 8" or even 10" too my ears is a little too "boxy" sounding.

The good thing here is that the Katana & many other small combos come with 12" speakers. :) And most of these newer amps are also scalable wattage. For example, the Katana has 3 settings: .25w, 25w, 50w.

The .25w setting is outstanding for super low bedroom playing. Retains all the great tones, but at super low volumes. The other two settings are great for recording & performing. And it can get pretty loud at those settings!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory