View post (How can a $150 prac/bedroom amp be any good?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
02/24/2019 9:03 pm

Thanks for all the great input everyone. I will definitely be trying a few out in person. I've done extensive youtube viewing and know what features I want. Will need to see in person how many watts is reasonable for me and see for myself how some of the different sounds soung. I don't plan on ever doing gigs or anything like that so really I don't think I need any more watts than is necessary to drown out the sound of my unamplified strings. Even with the relatively mild-mannered acoustic-electric I'm currently playing (an Ovation), I use a felt ukelele pick because I prefer the softer dynamics.

Was especially interested to hear Chris's input that a higher watt amp at low volume will not sound as good as a lower watt amp at the same volume as I thought I had heard other people say the opposite. Like maybe a 12" speaker (like you would have on a higher watt amp) will always sound better than an 8" or smaller speaker (like you would find in a smaller amp), at least on the bass end. Anyway, thanks again.