View post (How can a $150 prac/bedroom amp be any good?)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
02/22/2019 6:21 pm

In a few weeks, I anticipate I will be buying my first amp. I don't need much volume at all. In terms of features, weight, size, etc., I'm very attracted to things like a Roland microcube or cube, or any of a number of other amps in that category. I like the fact that they typically have a headphone jack, an aux input, and I like the modeling function that most seem to have. However, most of them also have effects, like reverb, chorus, flange, delay. By themselves (e.g., in a pedal), these effects would be $300-$400 not counting the modeling feature. So I'm just confused about how these companies can sell an amp like this for under $200 typically. Where is the quality being sacrificed (I assume it must be somewhere unless pedals are vastly overpriced) - in the speaker, the amp electronics, the efx? Ultimately, I want a good base (not bass but base) sound from the amp. I can add effect pedals later but I don't even see that there are many (or any) options for practice/bedroom amps without these effects. Assuming I don't need much volume, will I be happy with the sound of these amps? Would I be better off getting a higher wattage amp and/or a tube amp where I never take the volume knob past 2? Thanks for any input.