View post (Tab confuses me - Halp!)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
02/20/2019 9:43 pm

It does't help you read it, but it might make you feel better by knowing you're not alone in your confusion with interpreting and reading Tab.

Like reading off the Stave/Staff, I think one probably just needs to persistently put in the work until competent and confident, but, as in the instance you presented, to me Tab is harder to read.

Just an aside, for sight reading, I can see that reading Stave is like reading analogue vs digital presentation on instruments on the flight deck panel. Ergonomically, we humans interpret analogue better instinctively. Although initially it seems so foreign it will take longer than Tab, if I were to hazard a guess based upon my personal experience, whilst both will take time, application and everyday exposure, reading notes on the Staff is no harder to learn than Tab, and once learned, easier to use. So following the maxim one can do anything one wants to, just not everything one wants to, I've been using simple Tab only with my progessive focus upon - albeit slowly - learning to read music conventionally off the Stave.