Must be driving the neighbours nuts! 😸

manXcat
manXcat
02/14/2019 11:23 am

Haha....started my "Sunshine of Your Love" phase this morning. Playing the licks and riffs over, and over and over in my quest for mastery and perfection of its idiosyncrasies. And, well ya' just gotta' give it some amp challenging love don't ya! I try to be good most of the time with my AmPlug & headphone when working on it for extended periods, or restrict it no more than an hour at a time external audio sessions during the daytime, but couldn't resist giving it a tickle for an hour or so early this evening with the volume cranked.

Eric and Cream remembered and loved from 1968 when there wasn't a teenager I knew who didn't have a copy of that album or had a friend who did.

Using Justin's tute over at ....well, you know where. I gotta' confess I was kinda' astonished there's no tute for it here. Redemption, though Guitar Tricks. There is for "White Room", but that's for 'ron.

I try to restrict the temptation and contain it to my 40W Blackstar ID: Core. I use it on a foldback stand, and it can really pump some energy into the room on crunch or super crunch. Doesn't sound super loud to me, but I'm certain that perception is very subjective.

Wondering how you manage not pushing the boundry of tolerance when you're going through an obsessive period with a tune so you avoid becoming the nuisance neighbour? I can't leave this one alone, and don't want to be that guy.

# 1
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
02/14/2019 9:25 pm

I practive on my acoustic after work, when everybody is gone. I practive on my electric in the morning, before work, when I'm alone in the house.

I have a very affordable Fender Champion 20 amp (test winner -- $95.75 with free shipping via Amazon Prime), and I just barely have to crank up the volume to get a decent sound out of it. (As a side note, I will sell it and buy a Yamaha THR5 instead.)

I live in a mellow neighborhood with plenty of space between houses, so no of my neighbors can hear me. I would resist the temptation to play louder 'til it sounds "really" good . . .

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
02/15/2019 2:02 am

Fender Champions are great. Yer everything is cheap (relatively) in the US from Amazon. Ain't so here unfortunately. We can only look from afar with envy.

I have Fender's Champion 100 x2. Has a clean preamp bypass input just perfect for my NUX AS-4 amp sim which does Marshallish tones best, as used by Clapton when he recorded "Sunshine of Your Love". But I'm staying right away from 100W while I learn this....hahaha.

It already sounds pretty good to the lay ear, or so my wife flatters me. Fortunately I'm a fast learner, but attacking it persistently and obsessively hasn't hurt progress either. My fingers are pretty raw and sore today, so the neighbours are scoring a short lull in a period of diminished activity. LOL.

I 'fess the issue for me isn't actually facilitating quiet practise. That's easy using either my portable AmPlug or headset outputs from every amp. My very real in this instance personal 'weaknesss' lies in resisting temptation, to paraphrase the character "Scotty" from Star Trek, "I'm giv’n her all she’s got Captain, an’ I canna' give 'er no more!" on external speakers feelin' the energy in the room.

Yam THR5 and THR5as are a super bang for the buck amps, but I think I'd go with a THR 10 for electric unless I really needed the smaller form factor. I currently use my Stagepas clone PA (with its mixer) either mic'd or DI, or a Fender Acoustasonic for my acoustics, although I'll often lazily plug into anything most convenient. e.g. my Blackstar Fly 3. I really like the Acoustasonic and it performs a sterling job meeting what I require of it, but the THR5a is a gem of an acoustic amp IMV. I don't own one yet. Well down the wishlist at the moment.

Freestanding house here too, but sound does carry.

# 3
brother_hesekiel
brother_hesekiel
02/15/2019 5:10 am

The Fender Acustasonic is an incredible animal, yet at almost $2K way out of my price range. NOBODY has mentioned it anywhere yet, but that guitar reminds me of the Turner Model 1, which I would buy if I won big in the lottery.

The Fender Champion 20 is well worth the money, but it is actually too big and too powerful for the livingroom. I briefly thought about the Orange Crush 12, but then bought the Fender based on several reviews. I like the Yamaha, because of its compact size.

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
02/15/2019 6:32 am

I was referring to Fender's Acoustasonic amp. I wouldn't really be interested in their new Acoustasonic guitar, and certainly wouldn't consider paying the silly money they're asking if I was.

20W too big and powerful for the living room?!! Haha...give it time. I think my ID:Core's 40W at full noise is almost about right...could use a tad more, especially on cleans. For Classic Rock anyway. Enter my Booster pedal!

Yes, Yamaha's THR series amps are phenomenal. The compactness of the THR5 belies its most impressive performance. Tiny form factor and battery independence isn't to be underestimated either. It's that which sees my Fly 3 at just 3W get lots more use than it probably should. Sheer single brick convenience. For the same reason I don't bother with the additional 3W of its satellite 103 most of the time even though I have it.

IMO Fender's Champion series amps of any size have pleasing tone OOTB, and don't require a Masters degree in knob tweaking and item selecting on an LCD screen to achieve it. That's their strength.

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.