View post (Effective Practicing Schedule)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/12/2019 4:36 pm
Originally Posted by: jasim.hd

I agree with everything you said, and lately I've been trying to morph songs into my daily routine of practice, which leaves me feeling very good after learning how to play a certain solo or a certain lick.

[/quote]

Good deal! What does your current daily routine consist of?

Originally Posted by: jasim.hdI'm very confused of how to answer this question, I'm sure you may have faced this confusion with a student or two before me LOL.

Sure! And some students said more than one. And a few even said, "All of them!" :)

It's wonderful to have that much interest & passion in learning. And it's certain possible to do. But you have to keep in mind that every different project path takes time. And while you can do multiple paths at the same time, it will take more time to accomplish any given path.

You are currently torn between Rock & Blues. The good news is that there is a great deal of overlap in those two styles. But you are still looking at 2 different styles.

So, if you focus solely on Rock, then you will achieve a certain amount of Rock style skill & songs repertoire in a year. Or, if you focus solely on Blues, then you will achieve a certain amount of Blues style skill & songs repertoire in a year.

If you focus on both Rock & Blues, then you will achieve some percentage of both. Or you might be able to achieve close to the same amount, but in 2 years. Make sense?

The more you dive deep into one strong focus area the more quickly & strongly you will learn & automate it so it becomes second nature to you.

So, if you enjoy the learning process of both, and are not worried about taking all the time you need, or "the long way", then do both! Go back & forth as your time & enjoyment allows.

If you are really wanting to get good, really good at a style, then it's better to really focus on that one style. Dig deep. And the further in you get the more solid it becomes. I would even suggest that if you spend MOST of your time on Blues for a year, then MOST of your time on rock for the following year, you would be better off, have more skills solidly under your command, and know more songs, than if you combined them.

But you have to balance that with how much fun you are having. If it's just a boring grind, then do both!

[quote=jasim.hd]I am learning B. B. King's The Thrill Is Gone, and yesterday after I learnt and started playing to the intro solo, I felt magic I never felt before in my life. A small solo, but while I was playing to it I forgot myself, I closed my eyes and just felt it. I'm pretty sure that you know what I mean. I'm really sorry for making it harder LOL.

I know exactly what you mean. And that actually makes it easier for me. It sounds like you just need to make the conscious commitment to learning some blues. :)[br][br]I grew up listening to, learning & playing all kinds of musical styles. But from an early age blues has been more consistently in my musical life than other styles. I always get enjoyment from playing it & I always wind up cycling back to it after other projects.

Quite often it is still the first thing I play when I pick up a guitar in the morning. :)

I encourage you to work through both blues style courses. Then learn some blues songs. Learn to really play both rhythm & lead. Learn to play with a very clean tone so you know you are getting it firmly in your fingers. You can always turn up the gain after you have command of the skills.

Hope that helps. Let me know if that answers your question!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory