View post (GT short in strumming patterns ?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
02/08/2019 9:01 pm
Originally Posted by: SalvaXAnybody here has the same feeling?

Not really.

As you'd already know having spent three months "to practice (sic) songs", every song lesson here covers the song's prerequisite rhythm strumming pattern, with detail if unique. e.g. "Wonderful World" Caren A, "She Loves You" Dave C. At least, all the ones I've done do.

I found otherwise that for me, what I hadn't picked up as taught in Fundamental 1's lessons progressively, strumming either comes instinctively with the sense of a song's rhythm or by ear 'transcription' appreciating everyones' natural inclination to musicality varies. To me it's something best picked up progressively in context to give it relativity and aid retention in memory.

That said, there are a few generic 'one of three sizes fit all' strumming patterns which arguably could be taught as an individual ad hoc lesson, e.g. see Shane Simpson's tutorial here, but I don't personally think (vs feel) it needs to be expanded upon here at Guitar Tricks any differently or more than it already is.

What by observation of posts in this forum I think occurs, and I'm not casting aspersion that this is the necessarily the root of dissatisfaction in your own case, is that many beginners rush through the Fundamentals courses too quickly mistaking rapid completion of the course progress bar as actual progress in wanting get to be a guitar player in X week/months, and in so doing haven't paid sufficient attention on the journey to overlooked detail or taken time to consolidate actual tactile skill at aspects of the overall task before moving on to the next stimulating novelty of a new lesson.

I still think of my own skillset in terms of being a relative 'guitar Gumby', but I think that by now I've discerned that making music with guitar, is to my mind a thing of many integrated sometimes complex aspects that can't actually be separated in application even if they can in theory, much like flying.