Power Chord Squeaks and Buzzes

jstrikee
jstrikee
01/03/2019 12:45 am

When I move my fingers along the strings for power chord movements, it makes a loud squeaking/buzzing. How do I stop this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

# 1
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
01/03/2019 1:46 am

Others might have more expansive insight or technique to add, but so far in my journey, here's how I avoid or minimise squeal.

For any particular setup, do use string lube, have clean hands, use no more fretting pressure than necessary & relax pressure as you move (requires conscious awareness at first becomes instinctive with practise & experience over time), use less gain on cleaner settings. Squeal is contingent to all the above. Most evident on cleaner settings. Distortion will hide it.

Amp buzzing (vs string buzzing) is largely excessive gain, which is exacerbated by cheapie electronics, e.g. output jack, switches, pots, including poorly shielded constructed instrument leads. If you are referring to string buzzing caused by fret interference, it could be as simple as your action or a string being too low, through frets which aren't level due a number of potential causes.

Have your guitar's action set up so it is not excessively high is important (fretting compression distance and pressure), and check frets for level. String gauge (tension) is relevant as well (squeal).

# 2
jstrikee
jstrikee
01/04/2019 3:41 am

Manxcat I play on a steel string acoustic guitar. The noise I'm talking about is my fingers sliding across the steel.

# 3
manXcat
Full Access
manXcat
Full Access
01/04/2019 4:13 am

String squeal is different from string buzz. As you describe it sounds like squeal.

I also play acoustic. Same first four apply to acoustic string squeal as well. Common sense really.

Tension too (gauge) comes into it affecting the fretting pressure differential during apply/release/slide move. Do use string lube, and do back off the pressure more during the slide move along the neck to minimise it if you can't eliminate it audibly entirely. Acoustic takes practise to finesse and develop the necessary technique because of the generally increased fretting pressure required on them due to higher action, thicker string gauge and the fact they are designed to 'amplify' string vibrations acoustically.

Same as previously iterated for strings buzzing be it electric or acoustic. Causes are the same. i.e. action contingent to nut slots, relief, saddle height, frets being level.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.