Hi from tropical Australia

BiancaV
BiancaV
12/16/2018 8:07 pm

hi there

after years of saying I’m gonna, I finally bought myself a beginner guitar 4 weeks ago and am working through fundamentals 1. I’m one of those boat dwellers, how can you live the Buffet lifestyle and not play guitar, right?

It’s not easy, I’m in my 50’s and those fingies don’t like to be told what to do. But I’ll persevere. I have Limited problems with the crowded A chord, or G, or even D. C, hmm, I need a first finger extension, but it will work in the end.

i do think my guitar needs some adjusting, I bought a Yamaha fxg 800c, as that was in the shop and I liked the sound. I reckon the nut needs adjusting, I’m cutting my fingers on simple c. We just had a cyclone rip through so plenty time to practice staying indoors.

Bianca

townsville

Bianca

Man is not an Island

Sailing the Australian coast on SV Enya

My creative life on a sailing yacht

# 1
manXcat
manXcat
12/16/2018 10:33 pm

Hi Bianca!

PS. With that System 66 you'll will really be wanting an amp sometime. KISS and inexpensive, living aboard, I'd recommend either a Blackstar Fly 3 or Boss Katana Mini. Both are inexpensive, battery powered portability and convenience in a form factor that suits boat living perfectly. If you preferred a more conventional alternative, I can also heartily endorse Fender's Acoustasonic 15. No battery independence, larger and heavier, but arguably best in class if it is what is preferred. Everything Fender is overpriced in AU compared to ROW, but it is a user friendly perfect package with impressive tone for playing at home or aboard.

# 2
BiancaV
BiancaV
12/18/2018 12:21 am

Sand burst MXC, it’s lovely

initially i I was after a 315, I’m a scrawny woman but the sound wasn’t what I wanted. This has more mid tones.

good tips on the strings, I wash my hands before practice and microfibre strings after but the lube is a good piece of advice. Boat is steel so I understand the pitting.

i was wondering about humidity too, I guess wood swells and warps and she sounds slightly out of tune when fretting strings, whilst the open string seems tuned right. Maybe my ear is getting better, I did hear on the grapevine the inbuilt tuner isn’t that crash hot so I’ll get a clip on korg. I’ll try the graphite process. Going too hard, mebbe, and the humidity macerates the skin anyway.

Might take it to a luthier in the new year. There is a good one in Townsville but he is in high demand.

Prefer battery operated amp and portability, got a 240 converter on board and a genny but we’re out here for the serenity. Santa might bring one, who knows lol.

Thank you for the welcome mat, much appreciated.

Bianca

Townsville

Oz

Bianca

Man is not an Island

# 3
manXcat
manXcat
12/18/2018 1:36 am

initially i I was after a 315, I’m a scrawny woman but the sound wasn’t what I wanted. This has more mid tones.

Pleasing tone is a very subjective thing to the individual's ear. Have to go with that. Fortunately I'm the opposite, I prefer bright and warm tones, so the smaller body of the Concerts is pretty much a perfect fit for me, metaphorically and literally.

she sounds slightly out of tune when fretting strings, whilst the open string seems tuned right.

[br]That's part of the imperfect nature of guitar, but can also be an intonation issue. Look to neck relief adjustment for starters, although if you bought locally recently, that should have already been adjusted for Townsville's climate. Saddle controls intonation, but a proprietary saddle fitted by Yamaha to that instrument should be specifically moulded intonated for that model guitar.

the inbuilt tuner isn’t that crash hot so I’ll get a clip on korg.

I have a Yamaha APX600 with a System 65 preamp. I tune mine with its onboard tuner although I also have D'Addario Sound Hole, Headstock, Korg instrument cable and aural external and a pedal tuner to cross reference by which I did when I initial bought it. The integral Yamaha tuner seems to tune to 440Hz in common with them and to my ear.

Highly recommend Blackstar's Fly 3 single or their BT version if you want that feature. Inexpensive versatile, and even the single at 3W puts out surprising volume level and quality of sound for what it is. And bonus, it has a dedicated adjustable Chorus feature, arguably the most necessary effect wanted for acoustic playing. Although I have the Fly 3 combo and PSU, I find myself using mine as a single standalone unit on batteries all the time because of the convenience of its portability, fit anywhere form factor, battery independence, ease and adequacy in home use.

[br]Cheers

# 4
BiancaV
BiancaV
12/18/2018 3:54 am

Magic, I’m a tad technical so I appreciate the great information.

Thank you kindly!

Bianca

Bianca

Man is not an Island

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.