View post (53 year old VIRGIN)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
12/05/2018 9:02 pm

manX, I know...focus and be strong...Ha!!!

I guess I could say that after playing with reasonable skill for a few decades, I can afford to experiement. Mostly I'm piCking up other instruments to suss out musical ideas (when I actually have time). In addition to drums, I am doing a (very) little bit of keyboard and mandolin. In a way, mandolin is easy; it's tuning is G, D, A and E low to high. If you can think upside down, you already know the positions. At least enough to get an idea out.

The one thing I'll never be able to do; harmonica. Yep, tried and just can't quite get it. I get how it works and all but I sound like a dying goose. You shoulda heard when I tried saxaphone when I was a kid. Oh wait, you couldn't hear me, I could get it to make noise!!!!

I do think that drumming experience you had when you were younger probably helps a lot. You hear where a beat is. I mean, I've always been a drum oriented guitar player. Heck, I used to go to drum clinics! It did help me now. It's funny, our church band (we call ourselves The Soggy Wafers ..hehe) seems to have started gelling. Previous drummers seemed to just play what they were in the mood to play. I listen to the song. I couldn't tell you the time signature I'm on any song, I'm just playing what is needed. Rarely am I ever 4/4 or 2/4..Rare might be a strong word but lots of songs have a heavier hihat. Also, I like a nice pocketed groove. I like to fall back in to the song if I can..So there's that.

We've hijacked a welcome thread but hey, never can hurt to hear what's goes on in other people's musical heads.