View post (finger problem)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/25/2018 10:12 pm

Hi Alex

Most of us fumble with fingering in the very early days, some more frustratingly than others..

Finger (hand) image? e.g. example here. For a self perception ("I think") vs meaningful objective concensus (we can see it = true/false) perception check. Post it on Imgur or Flickr with a hotlink here if you don't want to post it here.

Larger bony hands with long "skinny" fingers aren't prerequisite to play, but there's a reason there are so many lanky ectomorphs among the numbers of prominent great guitarists.

Those with them can say it doesn't matter, but it does. Characteristic ecto attributes of length and accompanying flexibility do make fretting it easier. As with any other activity, physical attributes matter.

OK hyperbole to make the point, but can you imagine someone the size, weight and shape of a sumo wrestler trying to ascend Mont Ventoux in the Tour de France? How do you think they'd go? i.e. I can swim, but wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell of swimming laps like Ian Thorpe with his 6' 5", flipper sized feet and surf ski paddle sized hands no matter how hard or long I trained.

As I say it's probably just fumble fingers getting in the way, but then, we do come in different shapes and sizes.