View post (Difficulty with C Chord)

View thread

zollybosher
zollybosher
12/26/2018 6:51 pm

Ok ok. So 99% of the population can play C I get it. The problem that I have and believe me I have tried all kinds of variations is

If I hold the guitar as you are “supposed” to by placing in knee and holding it into your body with your strumming hand I don’t feel as though I have control of it should I want to move my hand down the neck to say 6th fret ( spider fingers)

Why I catch the G string on C is because my 1st finger is at an angle if I try to hold down the other strings at this time then I can’t- I have taken a week off because I was getting no were.

I am tilting the guitar because this is the only way I feel as though I have any control over the guitar, so essentially it’s leaned into my body- I have tried moving my thumb down behind the neck to provide more space and extra leavarage. All that happens here is control I tend to push the neck away from me as I am trying to hold the guitar with my arm

I get the first finger down and if I place my fingers on the strings I can play the chord albeit briefly. I have watched my fingers when I have been successfull and tried to replicate over and over again. If I take my fingers off and rest for a few seconds and put them back on then it’s a 90% chance I will get the chord.

I have identified the problem as such my ring finger collapses when trying to hold the string, so it plays the 3rd fret of the 5th string but falls down onto the 2nd fret 4th string. If I adjust then the G chord becomes muted because my 1 st finger is not straight it’s slightly bent. if I don’t my ring finger cannot reach to the 3rd fret 5th. As it is I can just about get to the fret albeit not in the centre. I know it’s hard to believe but it’s true

In other words my hand is eassentialy not horizontal to the neck. I can play the other chords even the pinky G.

I don’t want to sound harsh or ungrateful but it’s OK saying “ yeah no brainer” I can do this I can do that I know that, question is what am I doing wrong that others haven’t.

I have even taken a lessons from a professional session player. All he says is you will get it or not. Obviously I gave up on that idea after 6 sessions with him as I was and am stuck on this amd it’s really bugging me now

Yes I am having a mini tank but I expect things to be a little harder due to the fact I am in my 60s and new to guitar, but not musical instruments. I can not get play the piano, various brass instruments but the Guitar C chord is just not happening consistently and even if I can play it my finger collapses after a few bars as it’s not strong enough or comfortable enough for me to hold.

Like I said maybe it’s just me almost had having enough