View post (Difficulty with C Chord)

View thread

zollybosher
zollybosher
11/25/2018 8:38 am

Thanks for the reply

I bought this guitar due to its slim neck and suitability for beginners and intermediate. I have been trying to play now for @ 4 months and in that time have had private tuition for a small period. My tutotors response to the C chord is you can or cant its simple, you figure a way or give up.

Thing is I dont want to give up but the problem seems to be my first or ring finger I can hold 2 notes but when it comes to introducing the 3rd either1st or ring it all falls apart. Etither my 1st finger slides right up to and on top of the fret or even worse goes down on to the 2nd or my ring finger mutes the D unless I press with great force my ring finger down

I have looked at on line videos and everyone seems to have their 1st finger straight. this is not an option for me if I do that I cant reach the A so my 1st is bent and the note is played with the side of the tip of my finger instead of head on. if I dont do this then the G mutes. I know everone at some point will hit a "wall" but this is so soon and I dont want to give up already. Furthermore if I do get the chord I then have the issue of my palm catching the top E and it doesnt ring clear I know this because I can hear it when I strum, it doesnt ring true

I have also tried playing like Classical with the guitar on my left knee and also tilting the neck but that feels akward and didnt really help, I have "when sucesfull looked and tried to remember where my fingers are, but unlike the other chords where I can visualise and shape my fingers to the chord pattern, when it comes to placing them on the guitar it just doesnt work its like hit and miss,

I suppose I am posting because I dont want to give up, but am finding it almost impossible, when I know it IS possible, just I cant figure out how to fix it. I dont want to carry on if I cant get this "common" chord right as it would mean playing at 50% if not more."oh, sorry cant do that chord can we skip it" Does it.