Martial Arts

rockinfreak09
rockinfreak09
10/13/2002 10:32 pm
I started trying various different styles of Martial arts but now Im doing Kung-Fu (chinese people prounounce it Goh-ng- Foo)

Its really great well its tougher than most other types but its cause you get more exersize of it. My arms are sore!
# 1
rockinfreak09
rockinfreak09
10/14/2002 12:34 am
well Kung fu makes you sweat twice as much as Karate thats for sure (I tried karate out).

Well Kung fu is basicly all about stance so your balancing in a squat position for a couple minutes straight.

Well its better than Judo cause I mean you in kung fu you actually fight and learn kicks and stuff. Judo is just flipping and submissions.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/14/2002 2:15 am
I found Karate to be very stiff and posture-specific. Guhng Fu is much more fluid, and very adaptive. It incorporates some of the Judo priciples, like using your oponent's strength against him, with ways to make use of situations that favour you, and redirect conditions that don't. Balance is very important, but its a dynamic kind of balance. Tai Chi is very much like slo-mo Guhng Fu. At full speed, its more like dancing. I haven't seen such a contest, but I suspect that a fight between a Shaolin and a Karateka would would look like Rudolf Nureyev and a robot.

PonyOne, after Jit Khun Do, you would find Guhng Fu very rewarding. Like learning the practical applications after absorbing the theory. And with all the other disciplines you've sampled, Guhng Fu may just feel like 'coming home'. :)

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

10/14/2002 2:32 am

I did karate for four years, then pumped the weights and went on with kickboxing. Then I went to college and got lazy... and a degree... but still lazy...

Not a lot a good teacher in my small town.
# 4
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
10/14/2002 2:26 pm
I have my own style called "Grouchy Tiger with a Hidden Shotgun", the grouchy part I practice everday. I have boxed, wrestled, practiced various martial arts, I think the most important concept I learned was from a Gung Fu instructor, maintain the proper distance from your opponent.
# 5
Purple_Person
Purple_Person
10/14/2002 4:18 pm
Hi there.

I do Shotakai Karate and it's just as good as Judo, etc only you don't do as much screaming and shouting and you practice control mostly and slightly less force(but stil some lol).
P:cool:P
# 6
Purple_Person
Purple_Person
10/14/2002 4:21 pm
I forgot to say, Pstring, I agree. (about hte distance thing that is)
# 7
kingdavid
kingdavid
10/14/2002 5:46 pm
So you guys can kick butt as well?I didn't know.I'm sure it would help a band,in case some "fan" wanted to be an ass,he (you never hit a girl,remember?)get's his kicked.
Martial arts is onether of those I hope to do eventually but have never really gotten into.The others are learn tha bass,drums and sax,perfect my german( I did some in high school,and I was ok-I got an A- in the final exam),learn french(it's the national language in most of francophone africa-like you couldn't infer that from the word francophone-and I'll be an influence in africa one day,hence the need for lingual skills),learn spanish(it's sexy,or so I think),go to the gym(I weigh around 56-58 kg,for crying out loud,and I'm about 5'8" or 9",it's probably why I fancy that I have a big willie,there's nothing else competing with it for mass,LOL)
But I will do them eventually,I know I will.
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/15/2002 2:42 am
Originally posted by kingdavid
So you guys can kick butt as well?I didn't know.I'm sure it would help a band,in case some "fan" wanted to be an ass...
The slickest move I've personally witnessed was a bass player slapping some idiot up side the head with the body of his bass. And he didn't miss a beat. (The bassist, I mean). :D

...(I weigh around 56-58 kg,for crying out loud,and I'm about 5'8" or 9",it's probably why I fancy that I have a big willie,there's nothing else competing with it for mass,LOL)...
I'm sure that's quite problem.. I mean you must get all faint and dizzy from redirected blood-flow, 'n all.. :eek:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
10/15/2002 4:53 am
Originally posted by Purple_Person
[B]

it's just as good as Judo, etc only you don't do as much screaming

I once made the mistake of asking a friend that was a brown belt, to throw me just like he would if we were in a tournament, I really "thought" I knew how to fall, I wasn't quite ready for the impact of what felt like falling out of an airplane onto a concrete sidewalk, I never asked him to do that again, Thank God I was young and healed quickly.
# 10
Purple_Person
Purple_Person
10/15/2002 5:57 pm
Ow! thankfully i'm not a high enough grade for that in karate! I'm only the third belt up. That's yet another thing i'm a near novice at!
# 11
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
10/16/2002 3:43 am
I always found the green-belts were the most dangerous for sparring, because they knew enough techniques to cause some real damage, but had not yet developed the degree of control that the browns and blacks have.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 12
kingdavid
kingdavid
10/16/2002 10:39 am

...(I weigh around 56-58 kg,for crying out loud,and I'm about 5'8" or 9",it's probably why I fancy that I have a big willie,there's nothing else competing with it for mass,LOL)...
I'm sure that's quite problem.. I mean you must get all faint and dizzy from redirected blood-flow, 'n all.. :eek: [/B][/QUOTE]
I swear to God you're a mean basttard.
But the people sitting next to me in the cyber cafe I'm reading this from are starting to stare at me,no doubt wondering "what's this kid laughing about?"
# 13

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.