Fingertip pain.

catmeier
catmeier
11/06/2018 12:30 am

So after two months of almost daily practicing, my fingertips were finally starting to build up a callous. But now the strings are digging in and leaving marks. I've tried pressing lighter but then I'm not able to make the correct sound. This is limiting my practice. Any tips?

But some good news is that I can sometimes get a good C chord!

Cathy

# 1
fuzzb0x
fuzzb0x
11/06/2018 7:00 pm

You tried putting new strings on the guitar to see if that helps?

# 2
manXcat
manXcat
11/07/2018 12:01 pm

Hi Cathy

IME calluses and dents just go with the territory if you play almost every day, or every other day for a couple of hours or more.

Been at this with electric and acoustic for 12 months now. Since they developed, my calluses have been perpetual, varying only in degree. Similarly dented tips albeit less persistent. If I have two or three intense lengthy sessions in a day, or do that over a couple of days, pretty deep indentations and worn away callused skin is the consequence. Do that regularly and where the skin is compressed and worn away by friction the indentations persist too. IDK if you play both rendering it obvious, but acoustic is harder on the fingers because of the fretting pressure from heavier gauge strings, and usually, a higher action too. And that too can vary from acoustic guitar to guitar. e.g. My APX600 has a fairly modest gauge strings and lower action than many, but it's still harder on the fingers than the electrics.

[br]Tips. Stoicism. Tone Finger Ease for the strings before playing. And if you don't have a regular string replacement interval, replace the strings the moment you notice G B E starting to pit (look for rust and a discernibly rough feel) or they'll shred your tips.

# 3
catmeier
catmeier
11/07/2018 1:50 pm

Thanks guys. I am practicing practically every day for at least an hour on my accoustic. I was finger ease and it does help. I guess it's just going to take time

# 4
manXcat
manXcat
11/07/2018 9:52 pm
Originally Posted by: catmeierI guess it's just going to take time

Time is the balm.

I really don't even notice tip denting nor tip tenderness generally now, the exception being if focussed on learning and perfecting something I've been playing intensely 4 to 6 hours a day (in multiple sessions) over two or three days consecutively. When it develops then, I'll give it a timely rest day, and treat with Apple Cider Vinegar. Takes the pain away, toughens the tips and I'm good to go again the next day.

# 5
earlymorningrain64
earlymorningrain64
11/08/2018 9:44 pm

Look for a "light" or "extra light" set of strings. You may need to ask your local shop to do a set up as well

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.