View post (Recording tutorial / recommendations on setup)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/04/2018 10:06 am

Ultimately depends upon your purpose, and budget. Not really sure what you're actually asking, as you're sure to have already done your homework, have certain brands and options in mind and are aware that the learning curve is as steep as a max ROC F-15 at full reheat. So what's to ask? No matter what you get, your wants and perhaps needs will change later, just like that first guitar to now.

Recording can be as simple and cheap as recording directly from your amp via USB into either its software, or freeware like Audacity, or preferred paid DAW. I've done this with my Blackstar ID: Core 40. Rachelf (You Tube) initially used her Yamaha THR similiarly, then bought Reaper.

Any comprehensive software DAW learning curve is steep IME, and so too usually, is the price of each feature plugin. Reaper OTOH is very affordable and has a solid reputation and huge following because of that, but I haven't used it -yet.

I currently use a Behringer U-Phoria UMC 204HD hardware AI similar to that Focusrite Scarlett, & Tracktion T7 DAW which it shipped with. How you record into it is a matter of purpose. e.g. Self-critique, You Tube guitar demos, amp demos, You Tube "look at me play", making music to sell with all post production work. Sometimes I use a hardware amp sim pedal, others a direct clean signal and edit effects in the DAW, other times mic'd up in front of one of my amps or via my PA mixer if jamming & singing with others. All in all, the whole process is a 'lots to learn' learning curve. Google it. Loads of info out there. It just takes time. Two things you will want if going down the DAW path if you haven't already got them are a pair of decent studio headphones and studio speakers on isolation pads. Those nearfield speakers were one of the best value most frequently used purchases I've made yet.

For me that desire to learn about home studio recording process led to a decision not to over-analyze it or let fear of making a purchase mistake get in the way. My mantra is to just dive in, now, without worrying too much about the depth or temp of the water to get the hands on experience and everything that goes with it, make the mistakes, sometimes even learn something, but above all have fun with it.