View post (what a horribly bleak world i live in)

View thread

Bardsley
Bardsley
10/03/2002 2:54 pm
I love it how PonyOne can sit here and talk about how he uses electronic stuff for his music, and how it helps him get the sounds he likes, etc. but everyone completely ignores it and goes on with the same old lame "but it's not music" bull****. I mean, can people get over themselvse for one second and actually think tha tmaybe the reaosn why people become DJs or rappers or whatever is because they are passionate about music and they want to create music too, just like everyone here (or at least, I hope that's something to do with what everyone here is on about).
You listen to good DJs talk about the music they listen to and it's stuff like Miles Davis, Coltrane, the Beach Boys, Marvin Gaye, a whole lot of different stuff. When I read an interview with someone who talks passionately about a whole lot of the music that I love too, I get thinking that there's got to be something worthwhile in listening to that guy do his stuff. Of course, I may end up thinking that despite their influences I don't like their music, but I respect them for trying, and for doing something that they feel is important.
I see a helluva lot more integrity and respect for musical tradition in a guy like DJ Shadow than I do in a lot of rock bands.

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".